All artists require and desire a great desk on which they can get their work done.
Artists desks are usually ergonomic, as they are designed to provided artists with a vantage point over their work as well as help them with their grip as they work. An artist desk is capable of transforming not only how they approach their work but also the outcome of the artwork. So, to help artists choose the best desk out of the thousands that are available in the market, we outline what we consider to be the best of the best as far as artist desk go. From drawing to water coloring, crafting and beyond, below are the best desks for artists.
Studio Designs Vintage Rustic Oak Drafting Table
Doubling up as a standing desk, for artists shorter than 5’7”, this drafting desk from studio designs is available in two different sizes and brags a work surface that is 36-inches x 24-inches or 42-inches x 24-inches. Its solid oak construction is the main reason we included it in our list because it can be used by artists who use heavy materials when working. The desk has a simplistic design without any compartments, and it is easy to install. Artists can easily tilt this desk and opt to work with it flat or at any angle between 0 and 90-degrees. It is also equipped with pencil grooves that can hold up to 24 pencils
- The desk’s hardwood frame offers robust stability and durability.
- It is easy to install.
- Its rustic design and finish add a unique vibe to an artist workspace/studio.
- It can be easily tilted, which means an artist can use the desk at any angle that suits their preference.
- A lot of people cannot use it as a standing desk because it is too low.
- It does not have storage compartments which force artists to look for an additional space to store away their accessories and tools.
OneSpace 50-CS01 Craft Station
The OneSpace Craft Station is a desk that is ideal for those artists who are into minimalistic designs and are merely interested in a desk that is easy to use. This desk is made from glass and brags two side storage trays on either side of the desk and two drawers underneath the desk. The glass is smooth and does not impede and artist while they work, which translates to precision in the output produced. It comes with an inbuilt ruler on the bottom ledge, which can be used for quickly acquiring measurements without a ruler. The desk can be tilted up to 62.5 degrees and has wheels that make it easy for an artist to move it around.
- It is competitively priced.
- It has lockable wheels which make it easily portable, and an artist can lock them to prevent movement when they need to work.
- It has additional storage space for keeping supplies and accessories.
- The glass surface does not have frills that could impede and artists skill
- It is made from glass, which requires extreme caution when working.
- In as much as the desk has a tilt; the tilt is limited to only 62.5 degrees, which can be limiting for some artists who wish to work at different tilt angles they find comfortable.
Smith System Alvin 27344 CAD Station Graphics Art Table
This desk from smith system is a bi-top desk meaning it has to two different surfaces in one. This table is perfect for artists who are looking to optimize on their desks utility as they can use it as both an art desk and computer workstation. The two surfaces have the same measurements (24” by 24”), and they can be laid out flat to measure 48” by 24”. This desk is perfect for artists such as digital painters who work while referencing from their computers; however, any artist can use it if they so wish.
- It has a simplistic design that does not interfere with an artist’s ability to work.
- It is constructed with a heavy-duty steel frame and legs, which makes it very durable and long-lasting.
- It is expensive.
- It takes considerable time to assemble this desk.
- The desk has a limited tilt angle of only 45 degrees in comparison to some of its competitors that have double the tilt degree.
Martin Ashley Art Hobby Desk with Stool
This desk is one of the best and more unique art desks in the market for the simple reason that each of its legs is individually adjustable meaning that they can be used in rooms or areas where the floor is not even. The desk offers ample working surface made from melamine that brags a 35. 5” width and 23. 5” depth. Artist can use the table at different heights as it can be adjusted to be used at different heights between 26- 30.5 inches. Additionally, the desk can also be tilted easily using one hand. Finally, the desk offers a three-drawer side unit that can be used for storing art supplies and accessories as well as pencil trough that artist can use to hold their pens and pencils.
- Artists receive a tool together with the desk.
- It is possible to comfortably use it in rooms that have uneven floors.
- Assembling the desk is tedious and takes quite some time with some users even complaining that the manual instructions are somewhat confusing
Choosing an art desk does not have to be a complicated affair. When selecting a desk as an artist, you must consider several factors with the two most quintessential ones being the tilt of the desk and the working surface. Getting those two elements right will ensure that you do not experience any impediments that could affect the outcome of your work. Our list above includes some of the best desks for artists in the market, and we certainly hope that you found a desk that will help you through your journey as an artist.