Compatibility is the most common headache when looking for a printer for Chromebook. Since Chromebooks can’t recognize third-party drivers, a printer needs to be compatible with Google cloud printing in order for it to be used with a Chromebook.
But even then, it can be quite difficult to pick a printer. Most of the time, a buyer will just purchase a printer that looks good or has the most number of features. But having most features isn’t always great as you’ll need better performance before anything else.
What are the things to look for in a printer that’s compatible with Chromebooks? First of all, check if its Google cloud print-ready. You’ll also need to make sure whether you need color printing or monochrome printing. The print speed is another point that shouldn’t be neglected.
That was a lot to say! Now let’s take a look at some of the best printers for Chromebooks in 2020. Let’s begin!
#1 – Canon PIXMA iX6820
If you want the best printer that is compatible with Chromebooks, we request you to look no further than the Canon Pixma iX6820. This printer comes with a whole array of features at a very reasonable price.
Let’s get the main concerns out of the way first. This printer is compatible with Google cloud services. It’ll run perfectly with your Chromebook. This printer also supports Airprint, Pixma, and Wi-Fi direct.
As for performance, we can confidently say that you’ll fall in love with it! The print resolution is a massive 9600 x 2400 dpi. Expect perfect details every time you print. The print speed goes up to 14.5 PPM. There’s also an ADF (Automatic Document Feeder).
As for the feature side, you’ll be more than content with what you’ll get. You can use both USB and Ethernet connection interfaces. This printer prints up to 13 x 19″ sized papers in borderless. We also like how light it is at just 17.9lbs. You can use up to 5 ink cartridges with this printer.
However, the lack of a duplexer might seem disappointing to some. The single paper tray is also somewhat problematic as it won’t be able to hold many sheets at once.
Overall, the Canon Pixma iX6820 is the best printer for Chromebooks. There isn’t a competition.
- Compatible with Google cloud services, Wireless PictBridge, AirPrint, and PIXMA Printing Solutions.
- A massive 9600 x 2400 dpi print resolution.
- Up to 14.5 ppm print speed.
- ADF available.
- Prints up to 13 x 19″ sized papers.
- Compatible with up to 5 ink cartridges.
- USB and Ethernet connection interface.
- Lacks duplexer.
- The single paper tray is problematic.
#2 – Brother HLL2395DW
Let’s talk about the best monochrome printer for Chromebooks. Though there aren’t that many choices to begin with, the Brother HLL2395DW does an exceptional job of printing monochrome with Chromebooks
The HLL2395DW is compatible with Google Cloud Print. It should be compatible with Chromebooks. You can also print from mobile devices using AirPrint, and Brother iPrint&Scan. The HLL2395DW uses USB 2.0, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi as connection interfaces.
The performance is quite satisfactory if you compare it with the other printers on this list. For example, it has a pretty decent print resolution of 2400 x 600 dpi. There’s also the 36PPM print speed which is faster then nearly all of the printers on this list. It also has a 2.7″ color control panel for navigation.
As for the features, it has the most convenient ones you’ll need. It supports duplex printing. It can also scan and copy besides printing. Most importantly, it has an above 15,000 monthly duty cycle. Keep that in mind while picking this printer. It prints up to 14” sized papers.
However, the lack of fax functionality is odd considering it can scan and copy. On top of that, there aren’t any ADF.
Overall, the Brother HLL2395DW is the best monochrome printer for Chromebooks. There isn’t a competition.
- You can print directly via Wi-Fi Direct, Apple AirPrint, Brother iPrint&Scan, and Google Cloud services.
- It uses USB 2.0, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi as connection interfaces.
- A decent print resolution of 2400 x 600 dpi.
- Fast 36PPM print speed.
- The 2.7″ color control panel eases up navigation.
- Supports duplex printing.
- You can print up to 14” sized papers.
- Lacks Fax function.
- No ADF.
#3 – HP OfficeJet Mobile 200
If you were searching for a portable printer to carry with your Chromebook, you might as well take a look at the HP OfficeJet Mobile 200. This nifty little printer is not only compatible with Chromebooks, but it is also great for handling heavy printing duty!
Let’s get straight to the point. The HP OfficeJet Mobile weighs just about 6.8lbs. Though it doesn’t support Google cloud services by default, you can just hook it up to your Wi-Fi and it’ll do the trick.
The performance is decent too. You’d expect it will underperform because of its small size but in reality, that’s not the case. The HP OfficeJet Mobile comes with a print resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi. Thanks to the higher resolution, the details are always great. The max print speed of 20PPM is admirable too.
The HP Mobile 200 has USB 2.0 and Wi-Fi connection interfaces. It also comes with a 2.0″ Monochrome Display. It also features an ADF. Rest assured that this printer comes with all the ease of life utilities.
However, it lacks a USB cable in the box. Though it is not a big deal, it is worth mentioning.
Overall, the HP OfficeJet Mobile 200 is a great printer at an even greater price. If portability is a factor to you then pick this one.
- At just 6.8lbs, it’s quite portable.
- USB 2.0 and Wi-Fi connection interface.
- Superb 4800 x 1200 dpi print resolution.
- A decent 20PPM print speed.
- ADF available.
- The 2” display is great for navigation.
- Lacks USB cable.
#4 – Epson EcoTank ET-2720
If you’re looking for something a bit tanky but cost-effective, we urge you to take a look at the Epson EcoTank ET-2720. You’ll be able to print large volumes at a very reasonable price.
Let’s begin with compatibility. Besides being compatible with Google cloud print, you can also print directly via Android, Apple AirPrint, and Mopria. It also features a reliable USB Type-B and Wi-Fi connection interface. Besides printing, it can also scan and copy!
On to the performance section now. The performance is decent for the most part. The print resolution is quite high at 5760 x 1440 dpi. The printing speed is 10.4 PPM which is just barely decent. The EcoTank ET-2720 also has a 4Ink cartridge setup.
However, the one area where the Epson ET-2720 lacks is the features section. Though it has quite a few usabilities, there isn’t much to say about the feature section which is solely reliant on the Ink saver feature.
If you want a printer that can print in large volumes and at a low cost, you should go for it. Though you’ll be sacrificing a few features, the cost-effectiveness is something to keep in mind too.
- Compatible with Google Cloud Print, Android, Apple AirPrint, and Mopria.
- A reliable USB Type-B and Wi-Fi connection interface.
- It can print, scan, and copy.
- Super-high 5760 x 1440 dpi print resolution.
- Decent 10.4 PPM print speed.
- The 4-Ink cartridge setup is quite helpful for colorful painting.
- Ink Saver.
- Missing a lot of key features.
- No Duplex printing.
#5 – Canon Pixma TS 6320
What would be a good option for home printing with Chromebooks? While rounding up all the possible options, we couldn’t find a better one then the Canon Pixma 6320.
Why are we deeming this printer as one of the better options you ask? For quite a few reasons. Off the box, it’s compatible with ChromeOS thanks to the Google Cloud print services. It’s also compatible with direct printing through AirPrint, PictBridge, Canon PRINT, Mopria, and Wi-Fi Direct. This printer has Bluetooth, USB-B, and a Wi-Fi interface.
When it comes to performance, it’s more than enough for handling all your home printing. This printer prints up to 11” sized papers. Meanwhile, the resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi and print speed of 15 PPM is quite decent too. This printer also supports duplex printing.
The Canon Pixma 6320 can also scan and copy besides printing. Multiple usabilities boost up the value of this printer even more. There’s a 1.4″ control panel too for navigation. This printer has a 5 ink cartridge setup.
However, the lack of memory card support is disappointing. There’s also no ADF (Automatic document feeder).
Is this printer worth it? If you’re looking for a home printer at a reasonable price then this one is the best. Don’t even look further than this one!
- Compatible with an array of direct printing services including Google cloud print and AirPrint.
- Prints up to 11” sized papers.
- Supports envelope printing.
- A stunning resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi.
- This printer can also scan and copy.
- A decent print speed of 15PPM.
- Supports duplex printing.
- No memory card support.
- No ADF.
#6 – HP ENVY 5055 Wireless
From printing, copying, scanning and even faxing the Envy 5055 is an exceptional multipurpose inkjet printer that brags 10 ppm and 7 ppm printing speeds for black and color respectively. This printer offers a high 1200 x 1200 dpi resolution for its output, and it can also be used with a variety of media sizes including 3 x 5-inch paper to 8.5 x 14-inch legal and 8.5 x 11-inches borderless media. To use this printer, users can opt for the typical USB 2.0 connection or the inbuilt Wi-Fi functionality. Alternatively, they can also send their print work via their smart devices, i.e., phones and tablets through, HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint, amongst other apps. The printer is fitted with a 2.2-inch LCD touchscreen that shows the printers current status and can be used to manipulate the printer’s functionalities.
- Users receive a one-year manufacturer warranty upon purchase.
- The printer can effortlessly handle different paper sizes.
- Users can opt for the HP instant ink and smart app subscriptions.
- The printer is expensive to run, especially if you are not subscribed to the instant ink program.
- It is not easy to set up.
- It is not ideal for printing large volumes of prints.
#7 – Canon PIXMA TS6220
The PIXMA TS6220 is an all in one printer capable of doing more than just printing. This printer is equipped with features such as its 5-Color Individual Ink System, USB, and Bluetooth connectivity, 3.0” LCD Touchscreen, automatic duplex printing amongst others. The printer has printing speeds of approximately 15 and 10 IPM for black and color printing, respectively. The major downside of the printer would be its paper-handling abilities as it can only manage papers with a basis weight of up to 29#. In total, the printer can handle 200 sheets of paper at any given moment as it has two documents input trays each with a capacity to hold 100 sheets of paper.
- The output quality is top-notch.
- It has a small footprint and is thus ideal for small spaces.
- The printer two document input trays.
- It does not have Wi-Fi connectivity, which has become a standard for most printers today.
- The printer’s document feeder is manual.
- It is expensive to operate.
#8 – Canon TS9120 Wireless
Like any good parent, we can’t have favorites, but TS9120 is admittedly our favorite printer for Chromebook. This all in one printer works effectively on the Chrome OS, and it can print on different media including paper, and printable CDs and DVDs. Weighing approximately 14.8 pounds, this printer is compact with dimensions of 12.8 x 14.7 x 22.6-inches thus providing a high degree of portability. The printer is operated using a 5.2-inch touchscreen that shows the status of the printer and handles all its activities. Users have various connectivity options, i.e., USB cable, Ethernet cable, or WiFi. You can also opt to send documents from a portable device via PictBridge.
- It is fitted with extra ink cartridges which enhance the quality of prints produced.
- It is extremely portable and has a small footprint as it is compact and lightweight.
- It is fitted with two input trays.
- The printer’s document feeder is manual, unlike with some of its competitors that have automatic document feeders.
- Its printing speeds are rather slow in comparison to its competitors
- It lacks Wi-Fi, direct, and NFC connectivity features.
- The printer rejects paper with a basis weight over 29.
#9 – Samsung SL-M2020W/XAA Wireless
The Samsung SL M2020W is an extremely versatile printer that crows fast printing speeds of 21 pages per minutes in addition to its other impressive features. This laser printer is compatible with Windows, Linux, and macOS has NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity, LED display screen, input tray with a 100-sheet capacity amongst others. Additionally, it is a monochrome printer, which means it can only print in black. Users who intend to print colored documents are better suited opting for other printers.
- It has several connectivity options that users can use to print.
- Measuring 9.8 x 13.1 x 14.6 inches, the M2020w printer is extremely compact with a relatively small footprint, which makes it ideal for small spaces.
- The printer accepts paper with a basis weight of up to 43#, which cannot be said for a lot of its competitors.
- It is a single-function printer, and it cannot be used for anything else other than printing.
- It cannot be used for double-sided printing.
- It is expensive to operate, especially if one is working with prints that have large sizes.
There you have it folks, these are the best printers for Chromebook. All of these printers are directed at people with different needs.
As there aren’t many printers that support Chromebook in the first place, it’s quite difficult to categorize them. Take a look at our list and pick the printer that suits you the best!