If there is anything that will give your art that extra shimmer that catches the eye, it is the most revered watercolor markers. However, it is not just about any watercolor maker that you can lay your hands on in the shop. You need the best that can give you results.
Below is a compilation of the best watercolor markers available in the market today. It can be hectic and brain wracking scratching your head just trying to figure out the best brand to go for. Our top handpicked watercolor makers are meant to save you the stress and time.
Tombow Dual Brush Pen Art Markers
This watercolor maker comes with a variety of colors in one set. To be precise, inside the set are nine different colors and a blender pen. The tip of the pen is fine, and the brushes are very flexible. In simple words, the pen is a dual-tip design and you can never go wrong with it.
Right at the tip of the brush are durable nylon fibers. They are specially designed to give a medium or bold stroke on the art. All you need to do is to change the brush pressure. For consistent lines, the pen’s fine tip will help you achieve that by giving you better control and flow of the pen.
To create watercolor effects on your painting, all you will need to do is to go for the colorless blender pen in the set that will help you to soften your creative art. The most interesting fact about this pen is that it self-cleans after blending. It is both non-toxic and acid-free making it very safe to use. It does not bleed on the canvas or create a gooey mess. These pens use an odorless water-based ink that flows nicely and mixes accurately.
- The pens are non-toxic and acid-free.
- It has a huge assortment of colors.
- It has a desk stand that makes storing easy.
- The tip of the pens is consistent.
- The tip is self-cleaning.
- Pigments lift easily in water.
- The ink is odorless.
- It does not bleed through the painting surface.
- The ink flows well and mixes accurately.
- They give medium and bold strokes.
- The brushes are flexible.
- They are very costly.
- It doesn’t blend seamlessly.
- Customer reviews on frayed tips.
Letraset Aqua Marker
This twin-tipped watercolor marker comes in a set of 12 markers and a blending pen. It also has an instructions leaflet and a very convenient storage case. This watercolor marker is just it because of its excellent quality and versatility. This one is designed and fashioned to perform exactly like the water paints and there is less it cannot do.
Letraset Aqua marker is recommended for beginners and artists who prefer modularity and uniqueness in their artworks. This set has well-built markers with colors that give rich and saturated hues. Its lightfastness is of superior quality and it is easy to mix it with water. This line of watercolor markers is non-toxic, and it adheres to ASTM D4236.
As mentioned above, these markers are double-tipped for detailed and broader strokes. One of the tips is fine while the other is chiseled and all you need to do is to choose the one suitable to create the effects of your desires. The ink in these markers mixes well with water and they are durable and resilient.
- The set is affordable.
- The ink blends well with water.
- They are durable and perform well.
- They are lightfast.
- They are twin tipped.
- It is non-toxic.
- The quality is excellent and versatile.
- It comes with instructions on how to use it.
- It has a storage case.
- It has an assortment of 12 colored markers.
- It doesn’t have a brush tip.
- The markers are poorly constructed.
- The markers appear dried according to customer reviews.
MozArt Supplies Brush Pen Set
This set of watercolor markers is of top-grade construction and it comes with a wealth of excellent features. The real brush tip on these pens gives the artist total control and spoils him with all the techniques he can ever dream of to use. The tips are durable, soft, and flexible and it gives the artist total control over the strokes.
MozArt Supplies Brush Pen mixes well with water giving the art a whole new dimension. It can be used to create highlighting, shadowing, and blending effects using water brush or aqua pens. This professional-grade marker is ideal for all artists. Its ink is created in both Japan and Germany and if you are thinking of gifting an artist with a set of marker pens, this is the best choice you can pick.
MozArt Supplies Brush is a very versatile watercolor marker as it can work with various techniques and media. It can be used for journaling, calligraphy, and watercolor among others. This watercolor marker is ASTM tested and they have been certified as non-toxic. It comes with a customer satisfaction guarantee and a fun experience while at work.
- It is of excellent quality and performance.
- It is very versatile.
- It has a synthetic brush tip.
- The ink mixes consistently with water.
- It is lightfast.
- Its tip is springy and durable.
- It is very affordable.
- It has a customer satisfaction guarantee.
- It is a premium grade.
- It is non-toxic.
- It gives the artist control and variety of technique options.
Winsor & Newton Watercolor Markers
This one comes in a set of 12 marker pens with assorted colors. The tip on these markers is dual with a fine bullet nib. They are used to draw sharp detailed lines because of the fine strokes they provide. The tip also has a flexible brush for full coverage. The watercolor markers are not only of good quality in construction, but it also gives great quality work.
The colors of these watercolor markers are highly pigmented. The tonal range and vibrancy it leaves on the surface are both incredible and excellent. The colors in these markers can be blended for high-quality colors which are lightfast and all-weather resistant and do not fade for years.
The bristle brush area of these markers is springy, and they perform incredibly well. These markers are well packaged, and they are easy to carry around. This makes them suitable for outdoor and travel painting. However, the number of colors in this set is limited.
- They are double-tipped.
- The ink is lightfast and can last for over 100 years.
- The colors are vibrant and attractive.
- They are portable.
- The ink dissolvability is excellent.
- They are high performing.
- The color range is limiting.
Tanmit Dual Tip Art Markers
These excellent quality watercolor markers come in a range of 60 colors. These markers are also dual-tipped. They are fine bullets and a chisel point. These tips are designed for quick coverage and to blend the boldness. It should be noted, however, that its performance and durability are designed for beginners. But this does not take away the good performance of the pen itself.
Tanmit Dual tip Art Markers are very outstanding especially with their excellent performance on a surface. These markers dry out very quickly and it is both water and fade resistant. The colors are also highly pigmented and all it requires is a single application.
These watercolor markers come with a bonus case and the caps are color-coded. This means that color organization and identification is made easy from the range of 60 markers. The grip on these pens is very comfortable and they are just perfect for traveling and outdoor activities. Especially with the zippered bonus case.
- It comes with a wide variety of colors.
- They are dual-tipped.
- It gives quick coverage and blends the boldness.
- They are beginner-friendly.
- They are pocket friendly.
- It has a quality warranty from the manufacturers.
- They are portable.
- They come in a zippered bonus case.
- They are fast drying.
- They are water and fade resistant.
- They are highly pigmented.
- The caps are color-coded.
- They are easy to identify.
- The shades are vibrant and saturated.
- They are not ideal for professional projects.
- The ink doesn’t spread nicely in water.
What to Consider When Purchasing Watercolor Markers
When you have finally made up your mind that you need watercolor for your painting but you are spoiled for a choice from the array of brands available in the market today, here are some of the few characteristics you should have in mind.
- Quality of the ink- Always choose a marker with superior quality ink and are lightfast. Do not go for the ones that easily fade away after a short time.
- Brush quality- Most of these watercolor markers have a dual tip, a brush tip inclusive. Choose the ones with flexible and durable brushes.
- Ability to bend at the tip- A good quality marker should be able to bend instead of cracking when its tip is pressed.
- Pricing- We have always said that not everything costly is worth spending your money on. Go for something affordable yet with excellent quality.