The popularity of tattooing has greatly increased over the years, and so has the number of tattoo machines in the market. A tattoo machine is a tool that is used by a tattoo artist to draw his work of art on a person’s skin. Tattooing is a delicate art, which means that choosing a tattoo machine is a task that should be done reasonably because a tattoo is something that one must live with for a long time.
It is therefore crucial that before you even choose a tattoo machine, make sure that you have the skill to tattoo, or if you are the one getting the tattoo, make sure that your tattoo artist is professionally trained to avoid the chances of one getting and infection amongst other safety implications.
It is also important that you purchase your tattoo machine for an authorized vendor to ensure that you purchase an authentic gun and avoid getting conned. As a tattoo artist, your skills will only shine of you have the proper equipment for the job. Irrespective of whether you’re a novice or expert at tattooing, we have curated a list of machines that are renowned by artists from around the world.
Grinder Tattoo Machine by Pirate Face
Whether you are a professional tattoo artist, an apprentice, or a beginner, the Pirate Face tattoo machine is one of the best machines you can opt for. This is because it lives up to its reputation and performs exceptionally well when put to task. The Grinder tattoo machine comes as a complete tattoo kit that is fitted with everything that you may need for tattooing.
It includes consumables such as ink, needles, disposable tips, practice skin, and the machine. To help artists understand the machine, the manufacturer has also included a product manual with instructions on tattoo markings. This machine is great as it can be used to create tattoos that are highly detailed as long as the needle is properly injected. The Grinder tattoo machine is a coil machine with a 1.5 to 1.8 voltage power source. Its frame is made using stainless steel, and it is ideal for liners and shaders.
- Can be used across the board, ranging from novices to experts regardless of how skilled the person is.
- It includes several different accessories, which means that one does not need to consider purchasing other items together with the machine.
- Users get four tattoo machines included in the kit, as well as a book on the history of tattoos.
- Several users have complained that the practice skin included in the kit is of poor quality.
Cheyenne Hawk Pen
One of the most innovative tattoo machines very created, the Cheyenne Hawk Pen, is a tattoo machine that is designed to offer artists accuracy, control, comfort, and precision while they work. This machine resembles a regular pen, and its ergonomic build ensures that one does not tire easily or experience wrist fatigue.
The Cheyenne Hawk Pen is a rotary machine that is ideal if for filling and creating fine lines. Fitted with an unbelievably quiet DC Motor that does not have high vibrations, artists are guaranteed to enjoy creating artwork of any kind they can imagine. Finally, this German brand tattoo machine features an original cartridge technology that makes it easy for artists to quickly change between different needle configurations.
- Because its aluminum body is anodized, the surface of this tattoo machine constantly remains hygienic.
- One can effortlessly and effectively change between 56 needles thanks to the innovative technology it is fitted with.
- They’re available in six different colors for artists who find aesthetics to be important for them
- It is expensive
Dragonhawk Mast Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine
If you are an artist who has a preference for quiet but powerful machines, then look no further than the Dragon hawk 102YMX. This is because this machine is extremely lightweight, thus facilitating easy maneuverability for an artist. This rotary machine, which consists of a Japanese engine and an advanced gear system, can be used with a voltage of between 6-9 volts.
The machine has interchangeable 2.8 mm to 3.5mm stroke length, making it ideal for different techniques and styles. Designed to resemble a pen, the Dragonhawk 102YMX provides great control and accuracy. It additionally ensures that the hold feels natural by boosting one’s comfort.
- The machine does not heat up while it is in use, which means that artists can touch its aluminum body without worrying that they could get burnt.
- It is easily portable.
- Its ergonomic design ensures that artists are comfortable when using the machine and that they do not tire easily.
- One can occasionally feel the vibrations on this tattoo machine, but it is not unmanageable.
- It is available in only one color.
- The machine has a short 30-day return window, which several users have complained about, given that they had issues that occurred after the 30-day window.
Mini Dietzel Powerliner Tattoo Machine
Yet another best tattoo machine that was created from the knowledge that can only be acquired over years of experience is the Mini Dietzel Powerliner by HM tools & Dye. This machine, which features a Clipcord connection, is a coil machine that is ideal for artists who are working with large needles of size seven upwards. It provides users with excellent line work and perfect long strokes for effective and fluid motion.
The Mini Dietzel Powerliner is made using CNC iron, which means that its body is relatively solid. It also has ten wrap coils and a light armature bare, which are responsible for delivering the powerful performance associated with it. The machine is available in black, brass, and copper finishes.
- The machine is very reliable as it has been created by a company that has over 20 years of experience.
- It is not too expensive, and it delivers value for money.
- It is extremely powerful thanks to its 10 wrap coils. In fact, it performs much better than its predecessor, the Mini Dietzel Liner.
- The machine does a great job when lining big groupings of artwork.
- The machine only has a 30-day return policy.
Dragonhawk Tattoo Machine
Now, if you are looking for a reasonably priced tattoo machine, then the Dragonhawk Complete tattoo machine comes as a complete kit and is ideal for anyone looking to master their skills. This is because the set includes two guns and other accessories that one may need when they are getting into the tattoo world. The Dragonhawk machine has a stainless-steel frame and can be plugged into a power source of between 0-18 volts. It is a coil tattoo machine that works best for shading as well as lining.
- It is extremely affordable, thus ideal for beginners looking to get into the tattoo world or even experienced artists who want to continue mastering their craft.
- The set has additional accessories, which means that you do not need to buy additional items.
- Users receive a one-year warranty for the coils and frames while other components of the machine get a six-month warranty.
- The ink included in the set is not the best, and you are better off purchasing the tattoo ink separately.
Vlad Blad Seawolf Direct Drive Tattoo Machine
If you are a tattoo artist who wants to multitask without necessarily changing the machine you are using, then the Seawolf Direct Drive is the machine for you. This rotary machine can be used for any tattoo purpose and style. From dot work to realism, this machine delivers excellent results as it has one of the fastest and most powerful rotaries ever. The machine also has very minimal vibration, which is unexpected, considering the power that the machine packs. This machine is ideal for individuals who are skilled at tattooing and know what they are doing.
- The machine is perfectly capable of managing magnums of different sizes regardless of whether they are classic needles or cartridges.
- Artists get a lot of flexibility when working with this machine.
- Users get value for their money as the machine offers flexibility in an artist’s working style.
- It is not beginner-friendly
Choosing a tattoo machine is not something that should be rushed as it is important to find the right tattoo machine for the job. When considering a tattoo machine, personal preference and the artwork play a crucial role in determining which tattoo gun you should opt for. In our article, we have highlighted some of the best tattoo machines, and this is a place that is as good as any to start doing your research before making a final decision.
Another important thing that you should do is talk to other experienced tattoo artists who can offer you guidance that relates to making your final decision. Finally, it is important to remember that regardless of the tattoo machine model/brand that you opt for, pay attention to the finer details to avoid buying imitations of the machine that you want. Do let us know which machine you opted for or are currently using.