A few years back I bought a new table. It served as my working table. I used to cut and write on that piece of wood. I even punch it when I’m angry! It suffered from so many marks after just a month that no one would even call it new.
I could’ve easily avoided that and so can you. All you need to do is get a self-healing cutting mat on which you can do all of these things. But to pick a self-healing mat, you need to know about a few things first.
Its eatures, size, and versatility are a few things that matter greatly when looking for a self-healing cutting mat. You’d also want to keep an eye out for the thickness of the mat.
Let’s have a look at the best self-healing cutting mats you could go for today!
1. OLFA Double-Sided, Self-Healing Rotary Mat
The first pick in today’s list goes to the OLFA Double-sided, Self-Healing Rotary Mat. What makes this mat the top pick? The price and specs of this mat are some of the best among self-healing cutting mats!
Each of the mats from OLFA has a thickness of over 1.5mm. This means that your table or the surface you put the mat on won’t be harmed. On top of this, each mat is double-sided. Any blade you use on this mat will have an increased lifespan as the edges of the blades won’t suffer from any damage.
This cutting mat comes with grid lines. These lines ensure that anything you cut is done so with pinpoint accuracy. Its self-healing function also doesn’t take long and you get a smooth surface almost instantly.
This mat is available in 4 sizes, from 6″x8″ to 24″x36″. It’s also available in 3 colors: green, aqua and pink. This mat is specifically good for rotary cutters as you may know how difficult it is to maintain accuracy with a rotary cutter.
However, this mat can’t be used with fixed-blade knives as they might cause damage. This mat has everything you need so just go for it!
- This mat has a thickness of over 1.5mm.
- This mat is double-sided.
- It has grid lines that ensure the cutting of your desired object with pinpoint accuracy.
- The self-healing doesn’t take long and you get a smooth surface almost instantly.
- Available in 4 sizes from 6″x8″ to 24″x36″. It is specifically good for rotary cutters so you can carve out those edges.
- This mat can’t be used with fixed-blade knives as they might damage the blade.
2. Dahle Vantage Self-Healing Cutting Mat
Though the OLFA Cutting Mat performs greatly, it is in serious competition with the Dagle Vintage Self-healing Cutting Mat. Both are eligible for the top spot. This cutting mat has one of the best specs at nearly half the price! Let’s check it out.
The Dahle Vintage Mat is a perfect cutting mat for professionals. You can use this for rotary cutting, trimming artwork and pictures, and even freehand tracing and trimming. It can handle pressure thanks to its 5-layer durability design.
For even more protection, the work surface has a ⅛” thick construction. This cutting mat also has grid lines that display inch, metric, and angled guides. The surface also has blade protection that prevents the blades from getting dull over time.
This cutting mat is available in 5 sizes from 9”x12” up to 36”x 48” so you’ll always have a size option no matter how big your table is. As it’s priced nearly half of the OLFA cutting mat, this is a viable option if you want to buy one.
- Ideal for rotary cutting, trimming artwork and pictures, and even freehand tracing and trimming.
- Because of the 5-layer durability design, it can withstand a lot of pressure.
- The ⅛” thick construction allows the mat to have great longevity.
- The grid lines display inch, metric, and angled guides to provide greater accuracy.
- Up to 36”x 48” sizes are available.
- Affordable price.
- The cleaning process is tough.
3. Adir Professional Self Healing Cutting Mat
On our next option, we decided to go for the Adir Professional Self Healing Cutting Mat. Similar to our previous picks, this mat provides high value to its user. It also doesn’t cost a fortune.
The cutting mat from Adir is constructed with top-quality vinyl composites. The mat also has a 3mm thickness. Therefore, the mat is very durable and can handle all sorts of wear and tear. The surface is medium tooth and compatible with all sorts of blades.
This self-healing cutting mat has a stylish design. It is colored green on one side and black on the other. It contains grid lines to assist in cutting on both sides, the grids have up to 60-degree angle guides and .5L inch marks.
It has a hardcore 3-ply self-healing surface. Rest assured of it recovering from any kind of cuts. This mat is ideal for either professionals or amateurs! From designers to hobbyists, anyone can use it.
However, if you use a dull blade the cutting mat might receive serious damage. Slightly dull blades aren’t recommended with this mat. Other than that, it’s also another solid cutting mat that you can lay your hands on.
- The mat is constructed by top-quality vinyl composites.
- Because of the 3mm thickness, the mat is very durable and can handle all sorts of wear and tear.
- Stylishly designed with green on one side and black on the other.
- It has a hardcore 3-ply self-healing surface and recovers from any kind of cut instantly.
- This mat is ideal for professionals or amateurs!
- Even slightly dull blades aren’t recommended with this mat.
4. Alvin Self-Healing Cutting Mat
If you’re looking for a cheaper option, the Alvin Self-Healing Cutting Mat is a great choice. The self-healing cutting mat from Alvin has a comparatively lower price than other cutting mats. The quality is almost identical too.
While this isn’t anything of major importance, Alvin is a company that has been around since the late 50s. They provide quality products at a reasonable price. The mat is stylish. It has a black color on one side and green on the other.
Both sides of this cutting mat are gridded too. You can cut or do any kind of activity with great accuracy. The gridlines include guidelines of up to 60-degree angles and 0.5-inch grid lines. They also have 6 different sized mats with the largest one being 24” x 36”.
This mat is very durable too. It has a thickness of 3 mm. It can therefore be used for all sorts of activities including desk blotter, cutting, and as a general table mat. As this mat is made of composite vinyl, it can handle all sorts of blades including a rotary blade or a straight utility blade.
However, they don’t provide any sort of warranty, so keep that in mind while going for this cutting mat. With that said, this is one of the best budget cutting-mats you could and should go for.
- Cheap and affordable price range.
- It’s very stylish as it is colored black on one side and green on the other.
- Both sides of this cutting mat are gridded.
- The gridlines include guidelines of up to 60-degree angles and 0.5-inch grid lines.
- 6 different sized mats available with the largest one being 24” x 36”.
- The mat is made of composite vinyl and has a thickness of 3mm. This makes the mat extremely durable.
- No warranty is provided by the manufacturers.
5. US Art Supply self-healing cutting mat
Did you think that we would leave out the US Art Supply Cutting Mat? You’re wrong! The US Art supply is a long known company that makes various study components. Their self-healing cutting mats are no different.
The US art supply self-healing cutting mat is based on a Durable 5-Ply Self Healing Construction. This construction ensures that the mat stays in great condition for a long time. As this mat is made of composite vinyl, it further improves its lifespan.
The look of this cutting mat is gorgeous. You can either pick green/black or white/blue color patterns. This cutting mat has grids on both sides. The 1/2″ grids have 1/8″ marks that ensure precise alignment. It also has up to 60-degree guides.
The mat recovers from cuts instantly, so don’t worry about it not recovering over time. The available sizes are great too as you can get 6 sizes, with the largest one being 40” x 60”.
But the thing I will nitpick about is its maintenance. It’s quite hard to maintain properly as it attracts dust. If maintenance is one thing you don’t like then pick another one. But if it isn’t a problem, pick this one.
- The mat is based on a Durable 5-Ply Self Healing Construction.
- As this mat is made of composite vinyl, it’s very durable and long-lasting.
- The 1/2″ grids have 1/8″ marks ensure precise alignment.
- The mat recovers from cuts instantly.
- 6 sizes are available with the largest one being 40” x 60”.
- The outlook is quite nice too.
- It’s quite hard to maintain.
6. ARTEZA Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat
For the final pick, I decided that the Arteza Self healing cutting mat would be the best pick. The price is low and the components are of high quality. Let’s skip the chit-chat and get to the point!
While most of the cutting mats get worn down after a while, it’s not the same as the one from Arteza. It comes with 3 layers of protection. This allows it to have high levels of resistance. The thickness is 3mm so your knives won’t be able to damage it by any means!
This cutting mat is compatible with anything you want to do. Whether you use it for sewing to work projects, this mat can do it all! This mat also has glare resistance and can work in all types of lighting. This mat is also eco-friendly as it’s non-toxic and has resistance to curling.
This mat consists of up to 75-degree angle grid lines. Cutting accurately won’t be a problem anymore. On top of this, they also offer a 100% money-back guarantee!
The only piece of caution you’ll have to maintain is not using it with blades that have the slightest dullness. It’ll end up damaging the mat. Other than that, we don’t have any complaints. It’s a solid self-healing cutting mat.
- It has 3 layers of protection and a 3mm thickness.
- It’s compatible with anything you want to do.
- It has glare resistance and can be worked on in all types of lighting.
- It is eco-friendly, non-toxic, and has resistance to curling.
- This mat consists of up to 75-degree angle grid lines.
- A 100% money-back guarantee is offered by manufacturers.
- Quite fragile and can be damaged with dull blades.
While you’d pick just about any self-healing cutting mat from the store, that shouldn’t be the case. You need to figure out if the mat you’ll be buying is made out of the right materials and if it would last long.
All of the mats on this list have one thing in common: they are durable and made out of high-quality materials. But if we had to pick one from here, I’d go for the OLFA Double-Sided. But feel free to go for others too. All of them are great.