Artists require a myriad of tools to get their job done. Besides the actual tools of the trade, such as paint, canvas, raw materials, etc. there are tools for displaying their work. One of the best tools for displaying artwork is a projector, which is invaluable to showcase their work. It’s especially handy if they are, for example, working with large paintings or murals.
With lots of features to consider such as display technology, keystone correction, throw distance, brightness, contrast, and resolution, it can be daunting to try an identify the right projector, especially as an artist whose expertise is not in technology.
So, to help you through the journey of trying to identify the best projector for you, below is a list of the best projectors for artists.
#1 – ViewSonic PX700HD 1080p Projector
Boasting the ability to project on large screens that are up to 300 inches wide diagonally (that’s 25 ft in diagonal, for those doing the math), the ViewSonic 1080p projector is a super projector that artists will truly enjoy. It has 3500 lumens, which makes it easy for artists to effortlessly showcase their artwork in areas that are brightly lit without having to worry about visibility. I appreciated that this projector has an innovative super color technology and that ensures color accuracy and offers a wide color gamut. Another impressive feature of this projector is its full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution and its 12000:1 high dynamic contrast ratio.
- It has incomparable throw distance that ranges between 2.5 feet to 25 feet.
- The projector does not compromise on image quality
- Artists receive a 3-year limited labor coverage and parts warranty.
- Projected images are surrounded by a large black frame which is produced by the projector.
- The super eco mode of the projector occasionally shifts the brightness of projected images.
- Several users have complained that the projector occasionally displays “rainbow” effects, while in use, however, this has been an issue, particularly for gamers.
#2 – Epson Home Cinema Digital Projector
The Epson Home Cinema digital projector is a beast and one of the few uncompromising projectors available in the market. It is capable of projecting life-sized images that are 25 times larger than most flat panels on widescreens up to 300 inches diagonally. This means that artists can showcase large pieces of works and murals.
With a high 15,000:1 contrast ratio, and the capacity to showcase vivid colors, the color output of this projector is on a level that some projectors are incapable of achieving. The Epson Home is also bright boasting 3100 lumens which is nearly double the brightness of some of the projectors that are in the market.
- Artists can showcase their work in bright environments. For example, the studio lights could be fully on, and they would still see the projected image.
- Artists do not have to worry about rainbow effects thanks to the innovative 3LCD technology.
- The color accuracy of images is remarkable, and one of the best we have seen.
- The projector is rather heavy and bulky, making it difficult to easily move around.
- It does not have a tripod, and therefore, the artist must find a way to mount it, which could ultimately result in distorted or skewed images.
- It does not have an inbuilt battery.
#3 – APEMAN M4 Projector (Best Portable Projector)
This is an ideal projector for artists constantly on the move looking to showcase their work as they go. The projector brags a tripod mount that can be hung overhead or behind a canvas providing artists with 360-degree rotation capabilities. This projector has the lowest lumens of all the ones we have mentioned in the list, which makes it less than ideal for projecting in bright environments. It is also extremely versatile as it can be used with several smart devices such as an artist’s DVD, laptop, tablet, TV Box, camera, PS3/4, and even smartphones.
- As a pocket-sized projector, the APEMAN M4 is extremely portable.
- It has an impressive battery life that can last for about 3 hours before it requires a recharge.
- It is not as bright as some of the other projectors in the list. Artists, therefore, have to settle for having to showcase their artwork in dimly lit environments.
- It does not have any form of grid overlay and as such artists must edit their images on their preferred app before projecting
#4 – Nebula Capsule by Anker
We start, our list with the award-winning Nebula Capsule, which is the perfect in and out of studio projector that an artist can consider. Despite this projector being the same size as a soda can it brags a projection scale of between 20 to 100 inches and 360-degree sound. Artists, in particular, will appreciate this projectors ability to easily sync up with most smart devices as well as its user-friendly interface. The projector brags a standard tripod screw (1/4”) that makes it easy for artists to mount the projector to their ideal height making it easy to manage large murals and paintings and equally rid them of distortion. An artist will, however, have to, whether they mind spending on a projector with a small form factor.
- It brags a small form which makes it extremely portable.
- It has a seamless, aluminum body that ensures durability.
- It is lightweight, which makes it super portable.
- The lumens of the Nebula Capsule is only 100, which is not as bright as some of its competitors.
- This means that artists would have to showcase their work in a dimly light or completely dark environment.
A quality artwork projector should be able to operate effectively and effortlessly regardless of the scale of the piece an artist is planning on painting. Similarly, it should have an interface that is easy to use, comprehend and smartphone-friendly and finally, it should be easily portable so that an artist can readily take it outdoors or move it anywhere within their studio. The list we have included above-included projectors that meet all the mentioned needs which makes them some of the best projectors for artists. We truly hope that from our list above you found a projector that you can purchase for your needs.