A good printer is an invaluable machine for any college student both on and off-campus. As a student, you are always expected to meet deadlines, and sometimes, you don’t want to be running around campus looking for a computer lab or library in order to print your project paper. Buying an affordable printer that takes up little space in your dorm room and prints quickly from your laptop, tablet or smartphone can just be what you need.
However, given that the market is flooded with different printer models from different brands, a lack of proper research when you are considering getting a printer can cost you a lot. Every printer in the market has its own strengths and a few weaknesses. When shopping, it’s important to factor in how exactly you intend to use the printer.
Will you use it solely for printing out text or do you also need to print some color graphics? Will you need your printer to do other functions such as copying, scanning, and faxing or just printing? There are considerations to bear in mind. That said, we took a look at some of the best printers for dorm rooms that college students can buy.
Take a look!
Our Product Recommendations
- Canon MX922 Printer – Best Overall
- HP Envy Photo 7155 Printer – Best Space-Saving Printer
- Canon IP2820 Inkjet Printer – Best In Portability
- Samsung Xpress C430W Printer – Best In Printing Speed
1. Canon MX922 Printer
Canon, while well-known for its line of cameras, also knows a thing or two when it comes to printers. The Canon MX922 printer is an excellent and affordable buy for any college student as it comes packed with amazing features.
- Produces high-quality prints and scans
- Allows for duplex printing which means you can easily print on both sides without having to turn the paper and can also be used to scan, fax, and copy
- Ability to wirelessly print through Google Cloud Print, USB, and LAN AirPrint
- Comes with a 35-sheet duplex document auto feeder
- Compatible with several versions of Windows and Mac operating systems
- Enjoy a high resolution of 2400 by 2800 dpi
- A bit noisy when printing
- A little bit large
2. HP Envy Photo 7155 Printer
Now, if you ask anyone what brand of printer you should buy, there is no doubt that a couple of them will mention HP and it’s not in vain. HP has built a reputation for developing high-quality printers such as the HP Envy 7155 printer that would be a perfect addition in any dorm room given the size and features.
- The excellent size guarantees that you will still save space
- Very affordable making it a suitable buy for college students especially those on a tight budget
- Comfortably sits on a desk or dresser table
- The ability to print wirelessly and the AirPrint feature makes it compatible with Apple devices
- Enjoy USB connectivity which allows you to easily connect it to a laptop or smartphone and print your assignment or term paper
- 125 paper sheet capacity can last a whole semester if you don’t have a lot of things to print
- Comes with the HP Instant Ink feature which monitors your ink usage and preorders ink before you run out
- Ability to print, scan and copy as well
- Effortlessly print from the cloud either from your Dropbox, Google Drive, or iCloud account
- Easily print your documents from your SD card given that the printer comes with an SD card slot
- The printer becomes slow when used to print multipage documents
3. Canon IP2820 Inkjet Printer
The Canon IP2820 printer is not only easy to set up, but it is also affordable and produces high-quality prints.
- Easy to set up
- Delivers high-quality prints
- Lightweight which makes it easily portable
- Built with the Quiet Mode feature which allows you to print anywhere, anytime without worrying about waking up your dorm mate
- For college students who are into photography, the printer enables you through the Full HD Movie Print software to easily sync your videos and turn them into great still photos
- Comes with a 60 sheet paper auto feeder
- Features a 4800 by 600 color dpi resolution which ensures the printed documents are of high-quality
- Compatible with PC or Mac
- Has an Auto Power On feature that wakes up the printer whenever a document is sent for printing
- Has slow printing speeds when compared with other printers
- Doesn’t have wireless connectivity
4. Samsung Xpress C430W Printer
If you are a student whose printer needs are only tied down to printing and nothing else – no scan, no copy, and no fax – then you ought to buy yourself the Samsung Xpress C340W printer. While it might look a bit bulky, it doesn’t occupy that much space on your table making it perfect for the study table in your dorm room.
- This laser printer enables you to directly print from most of your mobile devices through the Samsung Mobile Print app that works with AirPrint and Google Cloud Print
- Enjoy printing regular documents using normal papers or cardstock papers thanks to the versatile paper tray
- Can produce 19 ppm for black prints and 4 ppm for colored prints
- Enjoy fast printing especially when printing in black and white
- Comes with a one-year limited hardware warranty
- Ability to print a wide range of paper materials
- It’s not a multifunctional printer as you can’t scan or copy
- If one key color runs out, the printer won’t print any of your documents
As a college student, a quality printer can go a long way. However, before buying one, ensure you know exactly how you will be using it. For instance, if all you need to do is print, consider getting a printer that serves that purpose. If, on the other hand, you need a printer that can print, scan, copy or fax, consider getting an all-in-one printer.
Also, consider your budget and the space that you have available as this will go a long way in helping you choose a printer for your dorm room.