If you’re familiar to drawing, then you know how difficult it was back in the day to trace drawings. I used Lamps under a glass panel, put the paper up against the window glass and all sorts of stuff. But time has changed as lightboxes have eased up the hassle of tracing.
The options of lightboxes are unlimited. From cheap and simple to Expensive and complicated with a lot of features. You’ll find an ideal option for lightbox regardless of how skilled you are.
But choosing the right one can be tough. You’ll have to keep your eye out for certain things. For example the weight, brightness, power option, comfort level are some of the judging points of a lightbox.
But don’t worry. You won’t have to go look for all that, we’ve done that already. Here are the top 5 Lightboxes for Artists!
Huion L4S LED Lightbox
Now for the 2nd lightbox on this list, we’ve decided to go for the most sought after feature when it comes to a lightbox. Portability is the thing artists look for most while buying a lightbox. And no other lightbox has better portability than the Huion L4S LED Lightbox.
As we’ve mentioned already, the Huion L4S is pretty portable thanks to its small size. At 1.5 pounds, this is one of the lightest lightboxes you can find.
The Huion L4S also has an intelligent memory function where it remembers your last-used settings. However, at 1100 LUX, the brightness is one of the lowest. But 1100 LUX is more than enough for about 90% of tracing. You can adjust the brightness using a touch-sensitive button.
Even at such a cheap price, the Huion L4S provides a handful of useful accessories. This includes six sheets of tracing paper, an adjustable stand, a paperclip to fix papers in place, a microfiber cleaning cloth, and 2m-long USB cable.
The only negative talking point of this laptop is its dimension. At 8.2 x 12.2 inches (210 x 310mm) the Huion L4S is a pretty small lightbox. But that shouldn’t be an issue for you as the short dimension allows it to be portable in the first place.
The Huion L4S is the perfect lightbox for nearly everyone. This is justified by its amazon rating as it is one of the highest-rated lightboxes currently. You should check it out.
- At 1.5 pounds, this is one of the lightest lightboxes currently.
- It has an intelligent memory function where it remembers your last-used settings.
- Brightness can easily be adjusted with a touch-sensitive button.
- Comes with a lot of free accessories.
- Has a lot of different usages including Negative Film Viewing, Artwork Tracing, Calligraphy, Scrapbooking, and many more.
- With 8.2 x 12.2 inches (210 x 310mm) dimension, the Huion L4S is a pretty small lightbox.
- The 1100 LUX brightness isn’t the highest.
Tikteck A4 Ultra-thin LED Light Box
Most of the time the best things come at a high price. But in the case of a lightbox, the story is entirely different! You see the Tikteck A4 is the lightest and most affordable lightbox available currently! To solidify this claim, the Tikteck A4 is also the best selling lightbox on Amazon.
Usually, most lightboxes are bulky, but the Tikteck A4 is pretty slim and has a good size. At just 1.45 pounds this is one of the lightest light boxes available. At 5mm, the Tikteck is A4 is an ultra-thin lightbox.
Now let’s get to the good stuff. The brightness on the Tikteck A4 is off the charts! The brightness is adjustable from 5,000 to 14,000 lux. This coupled up with the eyesight- protection technology ensures that you can work longer without hurting your eyesight.
The brightness is adjustable, so you can set it to your preference with ease. However, it doesn’t have the intelligent memory function like other laptops. But at such a low price with such good features, this shouldn’t be something to complain about.
Inside the box, you’ll find 10 pieces of tracing paper and a 2m long USB cable. However, a power brick wasn’t included.
Overall, this is the perfect lightbox for artists. The Tikteck A4 provides solid utility within an affordable price. You won’t find a better lightbox than this one.
- Very affordable.
- At 1.45 pounds, this is one of the lightest lightboxes.
- With a thickness of 5mm, this is one of the slimmest lightboxes.
- The illumination is bright.
- Super high brightness! The brightness ranges from 5,000 to 14,000 lux.
- The eyesight protection technology ensures that your eyes aren’t strained out from high levels of brightness.
- Good value for money.
- Highest selling lightbox on amazon.
- Lacks intelligent memory function.
Huion A2 Large Tracing Light Box
We’ve provided some of the best options so far. But the one thing that we haven’t discussed yet is the large tracing lightboxes. The best in this category is the Huion A2 large tracing lightbox.
The Huion A2 justifies the name large tracing box with a very large working area of 20.5 x 12.6 inches. Even though the Huion A2 has the name “large”, It’s also super-thin. At only 7.3mm thickness, it’s one of the slimmest lightboxes available currently.
But one thing that’s different from the other Huion models is the brightness adjustment system. The Huion A2 doesn’t have the step system. Rather you’ll have to adjust the brightness by holding down the power button. The max brightness is 2000 lux.
Though this is hard to get a hold of at first. But once you get adjusted to this brightness adjusting system, you can set brightness even more precisely than before. The Huion A2 also has the much appreciated intelligent memory function.
Overall, the Huion A2 is a standard lightbox. Though it has a generous amount of workspace somehow it manages to stay lightweight. So if you prefer the workspace above everything, the Huion A2 would be perfect for you.
- The working area of 20.5 x 12.6 inches is large enough for most users.
- At only 7.3mm thickness, this is one of the slimmest lightboxes.
- Max brightness of 2000 LUX.
- The overhauled brightness adjusting mechanics provide much accurate lighting.
- The intelligent memory function is present.
- The new light changing controls are a bit hard to get used to.
- Lacks extras.
Artograph Light Pad
This last one is the spiciest of them all. At the same time, this lightbox is also the most expensive one. I’m talking about the Artograph Light Pad.
Off the bat, you’ll find four separate options of working areas to choose from. The options range from 6’’x 9’’ to 17.5’’x 17.5’’. As the working areas are big enough, so is the weight. At 4.4 pounds, this is one of the heaviest lightboxes available right now.
The Artograph Light pad offers features that other light pads don’t. The brightness on this lightbox is fully adjustable. You can set the brightness to a dim 500 lux as well as a scorching 9000 lux.
The fully adjustable brightness system let’s working with heavy papers or even fabric a lot easier. The design is also sleek and durable.
The Artograph also prioritizes the user’s comforts. The cool white 6500k color temp and UV-free light are very safe for the user’s eyes. The Artograph light pad also comes with a protective storage sleeve and power supply.
Overall, this isn’t a lightbox to go for if you’re on a budget. However, if money isn’t a concern for you then we recommend going for this lightbox as you’ll find the utilities unmatched by any other lightboxes currently.
- A whole array of working area options that range from 6’’x 9’’ to 17.5’’x 17.5’’.
- Fully adjustable brightness from 500 lux to 9000 lux.
- Compatible to work with heavy components such as fabric.
- The cool white 6500k color temp and UV-free light ensure eye safety.
- Standard power supply and storage sleeve.
- Sleek and durable design.
- At 4.4 pounds, this is one of the heaviest lightboxes.
Yaufey LED A3 Lightbox
The Yaufey LED A3 is the first Lightbox on this list and an underrated one too. After reading the specs you’d ask why it isn’t more popular. Firstly, it’s super-slim and despite being a slim lightbox, it works fine with Up to A3 size papers.
There’s a feature called “intelligent memory”. It will switch the brightness level to the one you used previously upon startup. And speaking of brightness, The Yaufey LED A3 Lightbox has 10 pre-set brightness levels. The brightness can go up to a staggering 5200 LUX.
You’ll be getting a few extra things with the Yaufey LED A3. The Four non-slip mats allow you a more stable experience while using the lightbox.
In addition to that, you’ll be getting a pair of gloves, two bags, 20 sheets of tracing paper, and two clips that fix the paper onto the lightbox. Though it’s pretty common for lightboxes to come with a USB charging cable, you’ll get an adapter plug with this lightbox too!
The only possible negative side of this lightbox is its size. At 1.2kg, this is a pretty heavy lightbox.
Though this lightbox has its flaws, this isn’t anything major. We recommend it unless you want something lighter.
- Super Slim.
- Can Work with up to A3 size papers.
- The Intelligent memory feature recognizes usage patterns for a better experience.
- It has up to 10 levels of brightness with the highest level of 5200 LUX.
- The manufacturer provides a power brick alongside the cable.
- Has a lot of free accessories.
- At 1.2kg, it’s a pretty overweight Lightbox.
- The Price is on the higher end.
Without proper lighting, even a masterpiece can be ruined. That’s why for your convenience, we’ve gathered the top 5 lightboxes that cater to all sorts of needs.
You don’t need to choose a lightbox full of features that won’t be of any use to you. Similarly, you also shouldn’t go for a cheap and low-quality lightbox. Creating art isn’t easy by any means. So it’s very important to pick a device that will assist you in every turn.
Keep in mind what you want and take a look at our suggestions. You’ll surely find something that matches your interest.