Digital art has been growing in popularity over the last couple of years with artist creating 2D and even 3D drawings digitally. Previously a lot of artists would draw by hand, but advances in technology have allowed artists to either draw directly on the laptop screen using a pressure-sensitive digital pen or to use applications such as Maya, Illustrator, Sketchbook, Photoshop amongst others. To ensure that we gave you an accurate representation of what we consider to be the best laptops for artists, we tried and tested some of the offerings available in the market and curated the list below of some of the laptops you can consider as an artist.
#1 – DELL XSP 15
Any artist looking for the ultimate combination of price, style, and performance should consider the Dell XPS 15. This laptop offers everything in terms of the specifications that an artist can need for their digital art at a great base price. Performing almost at par with the Microsoft Surface Book 2 and Macbook Pro the XPS 15 brags 16GB Ram, Core i7 processor and 512GB of storage capacity which is more than sufficient for working with graphics. Artists can choose to get this laptop with a normal screen however the one we reviewed was fitted with a touchscreen with the UltraSharp 4K Ultra HD display that enables clarity and the ability to see the pixels in an image without necessarily having to zoom in and out.
- Its performance, which we attributed to the Core i7 processor is one of the best.
- Artists receive sufficient storage for their artwork, which can be complemented with external storage.
- Artist can customize this laptop to suit their preferred specs.
- Its battery life is not the best. The laptop can only last for 5 hours without needing a recharge.
- It only has 3 ports and could use more as far as we are concerned.
Apple MacBook Pro (15-inch)
If you are an artist looking to run literally any image editing program ten the MacBook Pro 15” is a laptop you certainly need to consider. From the insanely fast i9 processor, Radeon graphics, 32 GB RAM, 2880 x 1880 15-inch Retina display, amongst other things you will be more than pleased when working with this laptop. The colors on the laptop’s screen are vibrant and work together with MAC’s true tone technology to ensure your screen’s white balance and temperature match. Additionally, it is equipped with four USB-C (thunderbolt 3) ports and advanced UHD graphics 630 from Intel. It also boasts of an impressive battery life which can keep an artist going for a while before they need to recharge their device.
- It brags a large amount of SSD space, which is great for artists.
- The laptop’s 6-Core 8th-Generation Intel Core i7 Processor is impressive and delivers great performance.
- It can work with some programs and apps that are not available for Windows.
- It is quite pricey in comparison to other laptops with the same performance.
- It does not have a touchscreen.
Microsoft Surface Book 2
The Microsoft Surface Book 2 is a professional artists choice of a laptop but can still be used by anyone, skill level notwithstanding. With four different modes for artists to select from, the Surface Book 2 is extremely versatile and easy to use for artists thanks to Microsoft’s surface dial features and the surface pen. The laptop is available in two sizes, i.e. the 15-inch and 13.5-inch PixelSense display screens. Depending on the laptop size an artist opts for, they can choose between an 8th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7 quad-core processor or a 7th Gen Intel Core i5 dual-core processor. You also get an SSD option of up to 1 terabyte and RAM up to 16 gigabytes. Finally, you have a choice between the GTX 1050 graphics processing unit for the 13.5-inch core i7 laptop and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU for the 15-inch laptop.
- Artists get well over 15 hours of battery life before needing a recharge.
- You receive a powerful and dedicated graphics card upon purchase of the laptop.
- It is expensive.
- The surface pen has to be purchased separately from the laptop, which only increases the cost.
CUK MSI GP73 Leopard Laptop
Even though the MSI GP73 Leopard is intended as a gamer’s laptop, we included it in the list because it is capable of delivering similar performance for artists. Boasting NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 1TB of storage, Intel Core i7-8750H Six-Core Processor, 32GB RAM amongst other specs, this laptop is capable of rendering both 2D and 3D digital art. in addition to the inbuilt card reader, the Leopard has well over 5 different input/output ports which are great in case an artist needs to connect other peripheral devices. This laptop is great for an artist looking for something to replace their desktop with rather than as a laptop for every other day use.
- It is flooding with ports, unlike some of its competitors that have a limited number of ports.
- The laptop has a large display (17.3-inches), which is perfect for artists while they work.
- It is extremely bulky and heavy. It is almost impossible to find a bag or sleeve that can be used to carry this beast of a machine.
- It only gives four hours of battery life before it needs recharging, which can be quite inconveniencing.
Artists require laptops that have some insanely great horsepower. This is because one must be able to work without worry that their machine will break down. As an artist, when choosing which laptop, you should opt for, you must pick one with a fast processor, a high-resolution display, and strong discrete graphics that will not compromise on the output quality. The above-listed laptops are some of the best laptops for artists that are guaranteed to deliver at all given times.