The price of cartridges has always been a key point of frustration for many consumers- particularly inkjet cartridges. This is because, mostly, the overall cost is typically more than the cost of purchasing the printer itself.
However, over the last decade, multiple companies such as Brother, Canon, HP, Epson amongst others quickly realized this and have since launched printers that address this pain point.
These mega tank printers possess ink tanks that hold a lot more ink that the regular cartridges. But how does one know which ink tank printer is ideal for them?
When considering an ink tank printer, it is important for one to give consideration to factors such as p rint quality, the print economy, as well as a user’s needs and budget. This will ensure that you find the perfect high capacity, low maintenance printer. In this article, we discuss several ink tank printers that we have tried and tested and believe to be excellent in terms of value for consumers.
#1 – Canon PIXMA G2200 Mega tank All-In-One Printer
If you are on the hunt for an ink tank printer that will let you enjoy high-volume copying and printing, then look no further than the PIXMA G2200. This all in one printer will save you on so much ink costs if the volume quoted by Canon is anything to go by. With the ability to photocopy, scan, and print, the printer is capable of printing 7000 colored pages, and 6000 black pages users are guaranteed bang for their buck. This printer is ideal for home use as it has a basic feature set that includes, a 4800 x 1200 dpi print resolution, 100-sheet paper handling capabilities, and a USB type B interface. Other functionalities that can be achieved with this printer include cropping and red eye correction, which we thought were pretty innovative for a printer of its caliber.
- The text and photo output quality are pretty decent.
- The running costs while using this printer are relatively low.
- It is ideal for users who have a lot of bulk work to manage.
- The printer effortlessly supports several media types.
- The printer does not have an LCD display screen.
- In comparison to other printers of its caliber, it is relatively slow.
- The Pixma G2200 lacks an auto document feeder.
- It is incapable of faxing, and it also lacks ethernet connectivity.
#2 – Epson EcoTank ET-4760 Wireless All-in-One Supertank Printer
If you are not limited in budget, the Epson EcoTank ET-4760 is as good a device as any, to begin with. Utilizing 4-color drop-on demand inkjet technology, this printer is a worthy investment, particularly for users who use printers a lot. With enough ink to print 11,200 colored pages and 14,000 monochrome pages, this printer is ideal form home and small office use. The printer brags features such as an automatic document feeder, Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity, and a high paper handling capability. Additionally, the printer has an automatic document feeder, and a 2.4-inch LCD control panel that facilitates user maneuverability. This printer is ideal for users who print frequently as infrequent use of the printer may actually provide less value to a user. Finally, it has decent printing speeds of 15 pages per minute for monochrome prints and 8 pages per minute for colored prints.
- Users receive a 2-year product protection plan upon purchase and registration of the printer.
- The printer has voice-activated printing capabilities.
- The printer is capable of printing minute, intricate details on different prints without compromising on the print quality.
- The printer is relatively costly with a higher than usual base price.
- Its LCD screen is small, meaning that some users may struggle to see what is being displayed on the screen.
#3 – Epson EcoTank Pro ET-16650 Wireless Wide-Format Printer
Rich in features, the Ecotank Pro ET-16650 is Epson’s flagship printer of the brand’s Ecotank Pro workgroup and small-business inkjet printers. This all in one printer is capable of copying, scanning, and printing documents as large as 13 by 19 inches. It is a printer that provides customers with unbelievable value as it brags high capacity ratings and volumes. Some of it features include a 4.3” touch screen, 550 paper handling capacity, a 66,000 pages monthly duty cycle, and various connectivity options including Ethernet, Wi-Fi, USB, Bluetooth BLE (Bluetooth Light Edition) and Wi-Fi Direct. Additionally, the printer has multiple mobile connectivity options, which allow for users to use the printer remotely.
- Users receive a warranty on the product upon purchase.
- It is capable of handling different media types with the ability to scan prints as large as 11″ x 17″ and print up to 13″ x 19″.
- Users receive 2 years’ worth of ink at absolutely no cost.
- The mobile connectivity options are pretty robust.
- The printer’s running costs are some of the lowest we have come across.
- Users are limited to using pigment inks only as any other type of ink may damage the printer.
- Its initial cost of purchase is on the upper end of the price spectrum, which may be inaccessible for most individuals.
# 4 – Epson Expression ET-2750 EcoTank
If you are a one-man show and you do not require a high-volume printer, then the Epson ET-2750 should be your go-to choice. This is because it is ideal for small offices and for home use. With the ability to copy, scan, and print wirelessly, this printer has some amazing features. Some of its notable features include a 1.44” LCD screen, auto-duplexing printing, 100-sheet paper handling capacity, and printing speeds of 5ppm and 10.5 ppm for colored and monochrome prints, respectively. In addition to this, it also has an auto-stop ink bottle for every one of its colors, which means filling the tanks individually once the ink runs out is pretty straight forward. The ET-2750 is capable of printing 5200 colored pages and 6500 monochromatic pages, which means depending on your printing tasks and costs, you may actually get to enjoy some real savings.
- Users may receive a year of warranty or 50,000 sheets of plain paper from the manufacturer.
- It has an SD card reader, which allows users to print without needing a PC.
- The cost of replacing ink is extremely low.
- Most of the features on the Expression ET-2750 need an internet connection, which may limit users without internet connectivity as well as those with a poor connection.
- There are cheaper printers that offer better features and capabilities than the Expression ET-2750.
- Doesn’t have an automatic document feeder or fax capabilities.
- Its display screen is small, and it is also non-touch.
#5 – Brother MFC-J5845DW, INKvestment Color Inkjet Printer
Yet another all-in-one printer added to the list, the Brother MFC-J5845DW offers its users with reliability that is like no other. This is because of the output results and increased productivity that users get. The printer brags an innovative INKvestment tank system that holds more ink and reduces the number of times one has to replace their cartridges. The main features on this printer include an automatic document feeder, duplex, printing capability, a 2.7-inch touchscreen, and connectivity interfaces such as USB 2.0, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi. Users can look forward to printing wide-format documents at an affordable price. The Brother MFC-J5845DW is an extremely versatile printer, meaning that is can be used for several different business scenarios.
- Users receive up to a year’s supply of ink when they purchase this printer.
- It is capable of managing different media types and sizes.
- The print quality is really good.
- It has some decent printing speeds for a wide format printer.
- It does not have auto duplexing capabilities, and its automatic document feeder can only manage manual duplexing.
- It is incapable of copying or scanning large tabloid size documents.
Choosing the right ink tank future does not have to be a complicated affair. The key to identifying an ink tank printer is to first know your needs before you begin shopping. This is because while some ink tank printers are designed for office use, some are intended for home use. Other factors that you need to consider when choosing an ink tank printer include the text and graphics quality, the connectivity options available on the device, its paper handling capacity, and monthly duty cycles. Constantly purchasing and replacing a cartridge is usually uneconomical, especially after a period of time. Ink tank printer provides users with a mirage of benefits key among them being printing large volumes for a low cost and eliminating the need for cartridges. You are here because you were probably on the hunt for the best ink tank printer, and we certainly hope that you have been able to identify one from our list above. Remember, your research does not stop here, go as far as testing the printers while in the store as well as asking other individuals in your circle on advice regarding what you should opt for. Do let us know which ink tan printer you purchase and what influenced your decision to buy it. Happy shopping.