Finding the right surface for your painting is a very important step for an artist. To get the results you have envisioned for your art, you need to invest in a good canvas.
You could be armed with the best mediums and tools to paint but for as long as the surface is not right, it is all a waste of time and resources.
We have picked for you the best canvases that work excellently with oil paints. We have listed them alongside their best attributes, cons and the best convenient places to make your purchases.
Art Alternative Stretched Canvas Super Pack
This is one of the most affordable canvas for oil paints yet of superior quality. It is perfect for beginner artists in every aspect and it is easily accessible. Each of the canvas is individually packed which makes its storage safe. The surface on this one is stretched and primed and it is ready for use.
Art Alternative Stretched Canvas Super Pack accepts other media aside from oil paints. This great performer is highly versatile. It has been pinned flat to a kiln-dried fir wood. This cotton canvas is unbleached and has been primed with acid free gesso. This means that it is ready to use straight from the shop.
This Stretched Canvas is ready to hang and easy to frame. It comes in standard sizes and are easily available. It is excellent for mixed and blended media and it can be used to paint, collage, draw, sketch and illustrate.
- It is ready to hang.
- It comes in standard sizes.
- It is excellent for mixed media.
- It is acid free.
- It has been primed with acrylic gesso.
- It is affordable.
- It is highly versatile.
- It is perfect for beginners.
- The quality is superior.
- The surface soaks too much paint.
Daveliou Stretched Canvas
This canvas is exceptionally great, and the quality is superior and ideal for professional acrylic artists. Daviliou Stretched Canvas is an amazing canvas to work with and it is great for outdoor painting due to its weather and most especially water resistant surface.
This masterpiece has an exceptional build. It is made from 3 plies. Its wooden frames are kiln dried making it beautiful and highly durable. It has been pre-primed, and it can be used straight from the shop. This stretched canvas has an ample tooth that makes it easy on the brush.
Daveliou Stretched Canvas makes an artist’s painting experience amazing and it comes with a full year guarantee. It is sturdy, durable and it promises to stay around for sometimes. The packaging itself is very beautiful and if you are thinking of gifting someone who is an artist, this one is the perfect choice.
- It is sturdy.
- It has a 1year guarantee.
- It is durable.
- It is water resistant.
- It is perfect for outdoor paintings.
- It has secured and beautiful packaging.
- The quality is superior.
- It has an excellent build.
- It gives value for your money.
- It is not so affordable for some artists.
- Its stability can change if not stored well.
Fredrix Artists Series Red Label Cotton Canvas Kit
This is a DIY canvas kit that comes in various sizes. This superior quality Red Label Cotton Canvas kit delivers a very big canvas in a small package. This means that you will have to take your time to stretch and prepare your canvas before working on it.
Its texture is a 100% cotton duck canvas and it has been double-primed with acid-free acrylic gesso. This kit is perfect for both acrylic and oil painting. This canvas kit is a tremendous value for a beginner, student, or a professional artist.
Inside the kit are several materials you will need to prepare your surface. There is a canvas, four Fredrix Gallery Wrap. 1-3/8” profile stretcher bars, corner, for accurate stretching. Inside the kit is also a step by step instruction booklet and assembly screw.
- They come in a variety of sizes.
- They are made from 100% cotton duck canvas.
- They are double primed.
- They use acid-free acrylics.
- They are suitable for both oil and acrylic paints.
- It is suitable for all levels of users.
- They come with instructions manuals.
- They consume time for prepping them.
- It can be difficult to stretch the canvas across.
Winsor & Newton Classic Cotton Canvas
This versatile canvas for oil painting is best for painting in both oil and acrylics. Its surface is of medium texture. It is made from finest grade cloth and hand-stretched for outstanding tension. These Classic Cotton Canvases are back stapled, and their corners are expertly tailored.
Winsor & Newton Classic Cotton Canvas are primed with highly pigmented acrylic gesso. They are acid-free, and they beautifully respond to every brush stroke. Its balanced absorbency and tooth provide improved adhesion and uncompromised color vitality.
This pre-primed cotton canvas weighs 7 oz with a primed weight of 12.3 oz. Their frames are made from kiln-dried fir and paulownia wood. The stretcher bars are rigorously tested for warp resistance. They have both traditional and deep edges to choose from.
- Good with both oil and acrylic paints.
- The surface is of medium texture.
- It is made from the finest grade cloth.
- The cloth is hand-stretched for outstanding tension.
- The corners are expertly tailored.
- They are primed with highly pigmented acrylic gesso.
- They are acid-free.
- They respond well to brush strokes.
- They have balanced absorbency.
- They have improved adhesion and color vitality.
- The frames are kiln-dried in fir.
- The stretcher bars are rigorously tested.
- They are warp-resistant.
- They cannot be shipped to addresses outside North America.
- Complaints about the surface hard to paint on.
- Complaints about being loosely stretched.
Arteza Stretched Economy Canvas
This is one of the most popular canvas for painting oil. It is best suited for amateur artists and students because of the good pricing. However, it is not limited to the beginner users because even the professional artists still find it a gem because of the superior quality.
This stretched canvas is individually packaged. This makes the storage easier. It also makes this great surface look more professional. They are excellent for experimental and practicing projects.
Arteza Stretched Economy Canvas is sturdily constructed. It is stretched and secured on pinewood bars. This gives it the perfect firmness that is suitable for most media. They are pre-primed with acid-free acrylic gesso and they are ready to use straight from the shop. If you are not satisfied with your choice, this canvas comes with great news. It has a 100% money-back guarantee 100%.
- It is acid free
- Great for students and beginner artists.
- It has a money-back guarantee.
- It is of superior quality.
- Its construction is study.
- It accepts a variety of media.
- It is individually packaged.
- It is primed.
- It is affordable.
- It has pillowing on the edges.
- It cannot be used for heavy projects.
What to Consider When Buying a Canvas
Traditionally, if a canvas is your painting surface, both oil and acrylic are the techniques that work best with it. Canvases made from woven fabrics are the best. Cotton and linen materials work well with oil paints.
Here are some pointers you should have in mind when choosing the best canvas for an oil painting to spend your money on.
Stretched or Unstretched- Canvases will come in different formats depending on your preferences. They can either be in rolls, pads, or stretched. Bust the best of all for oil painting are the stretched canvases. This will save you the hustle of stretching it yourself and it is ideal for beginners.
Primed or Unprimed- Most canvases for oil painting with oil are mostly triple primed with acrylic gesso. These will help to make the surface smooth and avoid ugly blotches on your painting. If the canvas has one or two layers of prime, it can still be as best because it largely depends on the original surface of the material.
Texture- Every surface comes with a different degree of roughness. Using a rough texture can be bad for your painting. However, if it is intentional the aftereffects can be both interesting and stunning. Smooth textures are however the safest.