Architects often require a variety of resources, equipment, and tools to succeed. Top among the key equipment that they require is a large-format printer. This is where the need for the best 11×17 printer for architects arises. Architects are often burdened with the constant need to produce large printouts – be it for blueprints, diagrams, project proposals, maps, or speculative designs, amongst other documentation required. This makes the need for a good printer impossible to ignore.
Making a decision on which printer to purchase is an even harder and confusing process as the market is saturated with a variety of models and vendors available at your disposal. To assist you through this daunting task, we have curated an elaborate list of 11 x 17 printers which we consider to be the best in the market based on the different tests we conducted as well as the outcome produced by the said printers.
Our 11X17 Printers For Architects Recommendations
- Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 – Best Overall
- Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II – Best In Print Quality – Best For Home Decor
- HP Color Laserjet Enterprise M751n Printer – Best For Bulk Work
- HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 All-in-one printer – Best For The Budget Savvy
- Canon Pixma iX6520 Inkjet Printer – Best For Small Offices
- Workforce WF-7710 – Best In Versatility
#1 – Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000
The HD XP-15000 is a professional-grade printer that produces superior printouts, making it the ideal printer for producing detailed architectural proposals, drawings, and designs.
The printer’s color gamut includes new red and gray inks in addition to the regular 4x color Claria Photo HD (which consists of cyan, yellow, magenta, and black). This type of color flexibility ensures that you can effortlessly produce a variety of HD prints, including vibrant photos.
The printer has an auto-duplexing feature that facilitates bulk printing. It also has dual trays that play a crucial role in large volume printing.
- This printer has exceptional photo print quality.
- It can print borderless images of up to 13 x 19 inches
- The printer is small and light considering its size.
- It utilizes Claria Photo HD inks, which are great for the print quality.
- The running cost of the printer is relatively high
- In comparison to other printers of its caliber, this printer has slow printing speeds.
#2 Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II
Canon is a household name as far as printers and printer accessories are concerned. The company has always catered to both professional and personal printing needs. The PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II is no exception to this. This printer can produce prints as large as 13 x 18 inches without washing down their quality. This output can be attributed to the printer’s FINE printhead technology that can capture a maximum of 4800 x 2400 dpi. This printer’s picture quality is unmatched since it utilizes the Chromalife 100 printing system, together with Canon dye-based inks.
- It is a relatively quiet printer.
- The setup and installation process are relatively straightforward and easy.
- It is not plagued by incidents of ink exploding.
- It works well for borderless printing,
- One cannot print wirelessly using this printer.
- It includes OSX drivers, which pose a challenge to users who may want to manage colors by themselves.
#3 HP Color Laserjet Enterprise M751n Printer
HP is yet another household name that is revered in the printers and computer industry. Their Laserjet Enterprise M751n Printer certainly meets expectations for the best 11 X17 printers for architects. This printer is a great multi-use printer for individuals who prioritize print quality over everything else. Being a laser printer, the Enterprise M751n outputs the finest quality prints. With printing speeds of 40 PPM, this printer can perfectly manage bulk work. Additionally, it has auto-duplexing capabilities which means that convenience and productivity are a non-issue.
- Users of this amazing printer can use their mobile devices to print as it has wireless capabilities.
- Installation is relatively easy, and the printer is user-friendly.
- It does not compromise the quality of prints.
- It is rather costly.
#4 HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 All-in-one printer
If accolades are some of the things you consider in a printer, look no further than the award-winning HP Officejet Pro 7740. This printer, which brags a low upfront cost, has a sleek design and measures 23 inches x 18.38 inches x 15.10 inches in width, depth, and height, respectively. It consists of 4 cartridges, an automatic document feeder, and various connectivity options such as USB, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi, and ethernet. In addition to being perfect for architects looking to produce large prints, it can be used for other functions such as scanning, faxing, and copying. This printer is ideal for architectural firms looking to keep their costs down while still having high yields and performance.
- Its initial cost is affordable.
- The output quality is excellent despite having four cartridges.
- The printer only has four ink cartridges, unlike some of its more dedicated counterparts that brag five or more cartridges.
#5 Canon Pixma iX6520 Inkjet Printer
Defying popular misconceptions, the Canon Pixma IX6520 is a lightweight printer capable of achieving prints as large as 13 x 19 inches. Perfect for small office settings, this printer is compact and brags a set of amazing features such as a resolution of 9600 x 2400 dpi. These features ensure that the texts and graphics that are outputted are crisp and vibrant. The printer utilizes the ChromaLife 100+ system, which combines CANON’s improved FINE print head technology with genuine Canon inks and photo papers. It also has a 5-color individual ink system made of one pigment-based black and four dye-based ink. This printer is perfect for architects, and this becomes more obvious in its ability to effortlessly print pictures from full HD videos, therefore, giving architects unlimited possibilities when it comes to printing.
- It can print images from full HD videos.
- Once the ink is depleted, users only need to replace the depleted cartridge and not the entire thing.
- It has a compact design, therefore, it occupies a small space
- It has an auto photo fix feature that allows for image categorization and multi-zone correction for optimal imagery.
- The printer utilizes a lot of ink.
#6 Workforce WF-7710
The Workforce WF-7710 is an all-in-one printer that is extremely versatile. It is capable of producing prints as small as 4 x 6 inches, to borderless prints as large as 13 x 19 inches. With excellent media handling capabilities, it is ideal for architects who pride themselves in their work since its print quality is unrivaled. Utilizing precision core technology, it recreates print-shop-class prints and features a rear feed for specialty paper, a 250-sheet paper tray, an automatic document feeder, and duplex printing. This printer boasts a printing speed of up to 18 pages per minute, and it also utilizes 80% less power than a majority of its counterparts. When it comes to the printer’s connectivity options, they are just as versatile as users can connect to the printer wirelessly or through Ethernet connectivity.
- It is eco-friendly as it does not consume a lot of power.
- It can manage a wide variety of paper types.
- It is versatile and can be used for multiple functions.
- It is quite bulky.
As an architect, once you have made the decision to start looking for the best 11 x 17 printer, then the hard part begins as you try to separate the wheat from the chaff. It’s critical to consider the following when you go shopping;
- The media size. Architectural drawings typically do not fit on regular printing paper, which means you have to look for printers that possess wide-format abilities such as those discussed here.
- Connectivity. The printer’s connectivity to other devices is crucial since you cannot use the printer separately. You can choose between wireless and wired connectivity options, but bear in mind that they each have their pros and cons.
- Multifunctional or standalone printer. Each person has a preference for whether they want a printer that can perform multiple functions or a single dedicated function. You can base this decision on your budget and requirements.
We hope that you have found a printer that meets your needs from the ones discussed in our article above. Remember, it is crucial to conduct your research before purchasing your printer and always prioritize your needs. Other considerations such as color output and paper handling are also vital. Given that you now know what options are available, you can officially make an informed decision on which printer you suppose will help you improve your architectural presentations and designs.